background

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

"Bone" Appetite!

I was feeling particularly in the mood for baking today, but as we didn't really have any occasion for it, I decided to bake for the dog instead. :)

I found a great recipe on Pinterest (three cheers!), and gave it a go. This one is really simple, only requires four ingredients, and was really easy to make.

You start by adding 2 cups of whole wheat flour, and combining it with 1 cup of rolled oats.

Then add 1/3 cup peanut butter (I used creamy, but crunchy would work too), and 1 1/2 cups hot water. Combine it and knead well. I used my KitchenAid mixer for this job - any kind of stand mixer will make your life easier! Otherwise, you'll need plenty of elbow grease.


Then roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness. You can use more flour, or oats to prevent it from sticking. Use cookie cutters to cut whatever shapes you want. I didn't have any cutesie dog bones or anything, but I wanted to use smaller cookie cutters anyway, to make bite-sized treats.



Put the shapes on a greased cookie sheet, and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. If you have any leftover dough, you can either re-roll it out, or roll little balls and make a cross hatch pattern like traditional peanut butter cookies. Just don't get them mixed up with the people kind!


This is what they look like when they're finished:


They smelled tasty, like peanut butter cookies!



My dog, Sadie sure loved them! She's been following me around asking very politely for more. :)



There you have it! Super easy - these took me no time at all to make. Even if you have a picky eater who turns a nose up after a polite sniff, don't throw them away! Animal shelters are always in need of this kind of thing. You could make their day. Give it a try, and let me know how your puppy likes them!



No comments:

Post a Comment