background

Sunday, August 19, 2012

New Employment

So I just recently started a new endeavor in employment - a paper route!  I used to have one when I was a kid, and this kind of brings me back in some ways.

The part that's the most different is getting up in the middle of the night!  I usually wake up around 2:30 a.m. to pick up the papers between 3-3:30.  The hours are really a mixed blessing for me.  On the one hand, it requires missing out on much of the "after bedtime" activities that I used to enjoy after Olivia went to bed.  Why are so many shows on at 8 again?  :)  On the other hand, Nate has to be at work by 6 a.m., so this allows me to be home in time for him to leave, and I get to spend the entire day at home with Olivia where I want to be most.

The extra income is a nice bonus for us (when isn't it?) - to allow us to do things like go out on dates, spend a little extra for a new toy for Olivia, or a new pair of shoes, etc.  We have been incredibly blessed thus far that I have been able to stay home full time with Olivia, but that meant really making our dollars count.  This paper route gives us a little freedom with some "spending" money.

So far, other than the newbie bumps that come with any job, I've really enjoyed it.  It's so sleepy in the city that time of day, and I really enjoy the time to reflect, listen to sermons, or whatever music I want to without worrying about disturbing anyone.  I also have an audio Bible that I use frequently (really comes in handy for the 90 day challenge!).

It's nice to have some quiet "alone" time during the day too.  Especially as Mommy to a toddler, there aren't many of those moments throughout the day.  Even during naptime, that's usually when I play "catch up" and take care of things that are easier to complete without little feet to watch for.  How do you carve out some quiet time in your day?  Before bedtime?  Do you take some time to reflect maybe once a week?  I always love to hear from other Moms!  Feel free to share your thoughts.

Grace and Peace!
~Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment